Ahmed S. Kaseb is an assistant professor of computer engineering in the Faculty of Engineering at Cairo University. He obtained the Ph.D. in computer engineering from Purdue University in 2016. He obtained the M.S. and B.E. in computer engineering from Cairo University in 2013 and 2010 respectively. He received the best paper award in the International Conference on Cloud Computing and Big Data 2015. His team received the second prize in the Schurz Innovation Challenge in April 2014. He received the RCA Zworykin Scholarship from Purdue in 2013.
- Dissertation Title: A Cost-Effective Cloud-Based System for Analyzing Big Real-Time Visual Data from Thousands of Network Cameras
- Advisor: Prof. Yung-Hsiang Lu
- Thesis Title: A GPU-based Accurate Stereo Matching Algorithm
- Advisor: Prof. Elsayed Hemayed
- Built a cloud-based system to analyze real-time streams from 120,000 cameras (cam2.ecn.purdue.edu)
- Desiged and developed the system’s backend using Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Azure
- Built a distributed system that uses GPUs to enable users to design, train, and test deep neural networks
- Built a pipeline to track large amounts of visual data for autonomous vehicle and surveillance applications
- Developed iOS mobile applications for NASA and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Assisted in teaching many courses, e.g. algorithms, image processing, databases, and operating systems
- Lectured and trained college students about entrepreneurship in the Know About Business program
- Developed ultrasonic radar applications on the ATmega32 microcontroller
A. Mohan, A. S. Kaseb, Y.-H. Lu, and T. J. Hacker, "Location Based Cloud Resource Management for Analyzing Real-Time Videos from Globally Distributed Network Cameras," in IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology and Science, 2016.
A. S. Kaseb, A. Mohan, and Y.-H. Lu, "Cloud Resource Management for Image and Video Analysis of Big Data from Network Cameras," in International Conference on Cloud Computing and Big Data, 2015. Best Paper Award.
A. S. Kaseb, Y. Koh, E. Berry, K. McNulty, Y.-H. Lu, and E. J. Delp, "Multimedia Content Creation using Global Network Cameras: The Making of CAM2," in IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, 2015.
W.-T. Su, Y.-H. Lu, and A. S. Kaseb, "Harvest the Information from Multimedia Big Data in Global Camera Networks," in IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Big Data, 2015.
A. S. Kaseb, E. Berry, E. Rozolis, K. McNulty, S. Bontrager, Y. Koh, Y.-H. Lu, and E. J. Delp, "An Interactive Web-Based System Using Cloud for Large-Scale Visual Analytics," in Imaging and Multimedia Analytics in a Web and Mobile World, 2015.
A. S. Kaseb, W. Chen, G. Gingade, and Y.-H. Lu, "Worldview and Route Planning using Live Public Cameras," in Imaging and Multimedia Analytics in a Web and Mobile World, 2015.
A. S. Kaseb, E. Berry, Y. Koh, A. Mohan, W. Chen, H. Li, Y.-H. Lu, and E. J. Delp, "A System for Large-Scale Analysis of Distributed Cameras," in IEEE Global Conference on Signal and Information Processing, 2014.
- Designed and developed an Android mobile application that enables users to watch the world and plan their routes through thousands of online public cameras
- Earned a merit-based scholarship covering Cairo University tuition and fees and a monthly stipend, due to ranking 9th nationwide in the secondary education, math section
- Led a collaborative project about large-scale analysis of distributed cameras
- Represented the students in the European Union-funded project: Cairo University E-Learning Center